Frequently, DNA testing can be the single most important factor used by the courts to determine guilt or innocence. Similarly, other forensic analyses can provide the critical information in a criminal case, a product tampering incident, an accident or crime investigation or a civil trial.
NMS Labs utilizes a consultative approach to handling cases that promotes a high level of client-to-scientist interaction. This ensures clients the best opportunity to understand and interpret the forensic serology and DNA findings. By performing the appropriate testing on the evidentiary material, the client can have a full understanding and interpretation of the physical evidence and its importance to each case.
NMS Labs uses up to 22 STR loci, including the 13 core STR markers needed for compatibility with the CODIS system. Just as importantly, our scientists handle the most challenging cases while maintaining a strict chain of custody and confidentiality for all cases.
DNA Analysis, Autosomal STR (Casework)
NMS Labs most comprehensive evidentiary test. Any sample type and case type such as homicides, sexual assaults, cold cases.
DNA Analysis, Data Pack
Supports the upload of results into CODIS. View our specific letters of approval related to CODIS access on our Accreditations & Licensure page.PROPERTY CRIMEDNA Analysis, Property Crime
Testing includes extraction, quantitation and amplification.
Complete List of DNA Test Offerings
In addition to the above solutions, NMS Labs has additional testing designed to suit the needs of every criminal case. See our complete list of DNA test offerings
.NMS Labs’ forensic DNA analysis can be applied to:
- Identification of evidence to assist in the conviction or exoneration of a suspect involved in a homicide, burglary, assault/battery, sexual assault, or other criminal activity
- Specialized techniques allow for maximum recovery of low levels of DNA, including touch DNA
- Consultative approach with experienced analysts ensures that all evidence is evaluated to determine its potential probative value
- Matching donor DNA to drug screening test samples to resolve sample-switch allegations
- Matching donor DNA to a biological sample submitted for laboratory testing when a patient’s clinical presentation does not match the laboratory results
- Matching pathology slides or tissue samples to donor
Forensic Paternity / Kinship
- Dealing with cases of rape or incest that has resulted in a pregnancy, where analysis of an embryo's DNA can link a suspect
- Comparison of unidentified human remains to potential family members
NMS Labs tests for up to 23 Y-STR loci. Y-STRs are short tandem repeats that are found only on the Y chromosome. As such, it is passed from father to son, with no affect from the mother. Thus, Y-STR analysis is useful when:
- There is highly disproportionate mixture of DNA, where an overwhelming amount of female DNA is "masking" a small trace of male DNA
- There is a possible genetic link between a male suspect and a male kin
- Trying to establish familial relationships along paternal lines (i.e., descendancy from a male lineage)
Since there is no change from father to son, Y-STR analysis cannot be used to differentiate between father and son, between two sons from the same father, between grandfather and grandson, or any two individuals who share an unbroken paternal link.
- Forensic analysis in an investigation
- Identification of biological materials
- Product tampering investigations
- Assessment of physical evidence
Sources of DNA
- Body Fluids — Blood, urine, saliva, semen, vaginal secretions, perspiration, etc.
- Tissue — Skin cells, hair, bone, teeth, buccal cells, muscle, organs, fingernails, feces, etc.
- Others — Cigarette butts, drinking straws, toothpicks, toothbrushes, facial tissue, cotton swab, partially-eaten food, envelopes, drinking containers, etc.
Forensic serology is the branch of forensic science that identifies the type of bodily fluid present. To learn more about the serology testing available at NMS Labs
call us at 1.866.522.2216
- Blood Identification
- Semen Identification
- Saliva Identification
- Urine Characterization
- Feces Characterization
- Species Identification
« Return to Forensic Services