Catecholamines, Fractionated and Free, Plasma Test (7677P)
||Catecholamines, Fractionated and Free, Plasma
||Endocrinology; This test is New York State approved.
||High Performance Liquid Chromatography/
TandemMass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS)
||1 mL Plasma
||Green top tube (Sodium Heparin), Light Green top tube (Lithium Heparin)
1. Unless the purpose of the measurement is drug monitoring, discontinue any epinephrine, norepinephrine, or dopamine injections or infusions for at least 12 hours before specimen draw.
2. Discontinue medications that release epinephrine, norepinephrine, or dopamine or hinder their metabolism for at least 1 week before obtaining the specimen. If this is not possible for medical reasons, contact the laboratory and discuss whether a shorter drug withdrawal period may be possible in a particular case. The effect of medication on catecholamines results may not be predictable.
3. Do not perform the test on patients withdrawing from legal or illegal drugs known to cause rebound plasma catecholamine release during withdrawal.
4. The patient must refrain from eating, using tobacco, and drinking caffeinated beverages, tea or alcohol for at least 4 hours before the specimen is drawn. Avoid some types of food, such as walnuts and bananas for a week prior to sampling.
5. Avoid patient stress or anxiety. Children, particularly those under 2 years of age, often show an elevated catecholamine response to stress.
6. Patient should be calm and supine in quiet surroundings for at least 30 min prior to collection.
Draw blood into chilled blood tube (an indwelling venous catheter is advocated). Invert to mix with preservatives. Centrifuge within 30 minutes of collection (refrigerated centrifuge preferred) and transfer the plasma to labeled plastic transport tube. Freeze immediately at -20 °C and ship frozen.
Promptly centrifuge and separate Plasma into a plastic screw capped vial using approved guidelines.
|Light Protection Required
||Room Temperature: Not Stable
Refrigerated: Not Stable
Frozen (-20 °C): 30 day(s)
||Received Room Temperature. Received Refrigerated.
|Day(s) Test Set-up / TAT
||[LC-MS/MS] Monday Thursday / 3 days
|Suggested CPT Code
|Test Summary Sheet
*Rejection criteria pertain to clinical specimen submissions only.
**Stated minimum volume allows for a single analysis. Repeat analysis will not be performed.